Joining the Senior School
Our usual points of entry are Years 7 and 9, but we sometimes have spaces available in other year groups. Please contact Admission on 0117 989 8252 or email email@example.com if you are looking for a space for September 2017.
Entrance Examinations – September 2018 entry
The date for the 2018 entrance examination is still to be confirmed. In the meantime, you can register your daughter here.
Once you have registered, please read instructions here for the day itself.
About the selection process
- Applicants sit papers in verbal and non-verbal reasoning, maths and English.
- The English paper consists of a short piece of creative writing chosen from a range of topics.
- In maths we set a variety of short questions designed to test basic mathematical knowledge. No maths equipment is needed.
- Year 9 candidates have additional papers in science and modern foreign languages.
- All applicants have an interview with the Headmistress, including a short presentation on a subject of their choice, held prior to the entrance examination.
- A Head Teacher’s reference is requested from the current school.
To familiarise your daughter with the reasoning papers GL Assessment booklets are available online:
Multiple Choice Verbal Reasoning: ISBN 978 0 7087 1987 9 and ISBN 978 0 7087 2049 3
Multiple Choice Non-Verbal Reasoning: ISBN 978 0 7087 1986 2 and ISBN 978 0 7087 2048 6
Year 7 taster days
Taster days give girls in Year 6 the chance to experience a normal school day as it includes a variety of lessons and lunch. There is no charge but booking is essential.
Note - We will publish dates for 2017 shortly. Please contact Admissions to register your interest.
If your daughter has any medical / allergy / dietary requirements, please let us know in advance. We have a school nurse on site during the school week.
- Drop at the Senior School reception at 8.30am at the Westbury Red Maids' site. Staff will be on hand to answer any questions.
- Collect from reception at 12.40pm.
- Girls need trainers, a water bottle, a pencil case and paper.
- Girls should wear their normal school clothes, making it easy to return to school in the afternoon.
Taster days for Years 8 to 10
We arrange individual taster days for girls joining in Year 8, 9 and 10. They would normally visit for a whole day from 8.30am to 4.05pm, but this is flexible.
- Girls need a pencil case, pencil, games kit and water bottle. In the Autumn term (hockey) shin pads, a mouth guard and hockey stick may also be necessary.
- Girls should wear their normal school clothes.
* If any junior school would like a dedicated taster day for a group of students, please contact Admissions.
Years 7 and 9 Entrance Scholarships
All girls sitting the exam are automatically considered for an academic scholarship. To apply for a music or sports scholarship, you need to make a separate application.
Please note: any scholarship or bursary applications should be submitted along with your registration form, before the entrance examination.
Moving up: Welcome day for Year 7
Girls joining in September will be invited to a welcome day in June. Parents will join them in the afternoon, to meet school staff and receive information about the new school year.
Summer Activity Week
Before joining in Year 7, girls can take part in our Summer Activities Week which gives them a chance to make new friends and have fun before the start of the academic year. In 2017, it will run from Tuesday 29 August to Friday 1 September, from 9.45am to 12.45pm.