We are the only school in Bristol to offer the choice of International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A Levels in the Sixth Form. We are fully committed to each route and enjoy tremendous academic success in both. In 2016, more than 46% of entries at A Level and IB equivalent were graded A* or A. Three quarters - 75.1% - of all entries were awarded A*, A or B grade.
A Level Programme
- We have an outstanding record of examination success, across 27 different A Level subjects.
- Additional qualifications can include: Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), Creative Writing, Duke of Edinburgh Gold, Greek GCSE, High Sports Leaders Award and Statistics.
- A Levels suit students who are very strong in one area and don’t wish to study a wide range of subjects.
- From September 2016, A Levels follow a Linear Course.
IB Diploma Programme
- We have an outstanding record of exam success with students consistently meeting or exceeding their expected points score.
- The IB is a two-year course which allows the study of a broad range of subjects.
- Extra-curricular activities such as sport, music and community work count towards the final mark.
- The IB Diploma suits students who enjoy the freedom to think beyond the confines of the exam syllabus.
- The IB Diploma is a Linear Course, which means it is only examined at the end of the course.
- The IB Diploma is examined in May of the second year and the results are issued in early July.
- At Red Maids', internal IB Diploma exams take place towards the end of the first year of study.